Thursday 8 November 2012

The Gene Pool



Not that sort of Jean Pool.....
Fascinating stuff this. Why do we do the things we do, like the stuff we like, look the way we look? It's something I often ponder about, too much time on my hands? Definitely.

So are we who we are because of our inherited genes, or are we influenced and swayed as we go through life?


See any similarities? Me neither.
This is so fascinating for me as I was adopted from the day dot. I'm not genetically linked to my family at all. This is clearly evident via general appearance. I peaked at a woeful 5'8", my brothers and father are all well over over 6'. I've dark brown skin, they're bordering on pasty white. This has led to some very interesting conversations over the years, primarily whilst trying to woo members of the opposite sex, and to enforce the fact that we are indeed brothers, not lovers. My kids on the otherhand, have huge visual similarities to me and their mum. No need for any Jezza Kyle DNA tests there then.?
A few here though

Not surprisingly, we tend to look like our gene donors. Where it gets really interesting is when we move onto a person's character and personality. I love football, my brothers and dad don't. My son does. My parents were avid tennis players, therefore my budding football career became a tennis one. I still play tennis now. I'm mad about cars, but was always alone with that passion as a kid. In fact I was regularly berated by my dad for spending 'ridiculous sums' on motors. Both my boys love cars, and have petrol running through their veins (not diesel...)

I'd like to think I have decent manners, that runs through the family. My dad was a gentleman, opened doors, served the ladies first, with impeccable grace. I'm hoping my children will be the same. That could be genetic, I'll never know, but it was certainly instilled in me from an early age.

The real twist came a few years ago. When you have a family of your own it's natural to wonder how your children will turn out. To understand this completely there was a huge piece of my genetic jigsaw missing, details of my biological parents. I set off on the quest to find out more, not that it had ever been hidden from me, but I was now very curious. I acquired my adoption papers which included detailed profiles of my natural mother and father. Wow. It all made sense now. He stood at a lofty 5'4", she 4'11". For me to get to 5'8" was quite an achievement. Father was Indian (I knew that already), mother was white caucasian. Father's passions were listed as cars and football. He had a small collection of classic vehicles, and had been close to a career as a professional footballer. He was deemed to be a bit of a 'lad'. Apparently something of a womaniser. Fair enough. They were both in the medical profession - I pass out at the sight of blood, in fact I fainted at my first son's birth!

Interesting stuff I hope you'll agree. My conclusion? I've yet to come to a satisfactory one. I guess genes shape you physically, and give you a handful of personal traits. But your life influences truly shape you into the person you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment