Sunday 14 July 2013

What you gonna be when you grow up?

I still ponder this question......
My career advice from my careers advice officer (why is it plural? I only ever wanted one career) at the private school where I was so privileged to be went like this....
"Do you want to be an accountant Sanderson?"
"Err, no Sir"
"Do you want to be a lawyer Sanderson?"
"Not really Sir"
"Do you want to be a teacher Sanderson?"
"Yes Sir, I do, I like that idea. What does a teacher earn?"
"Why Sanderson?"
"Because Sir, by the time I'm thirty I'll be married and I'll have kids so I'll need a big detached house, lovely gardens, plenty of parking because I'll have a Golf GTi, my wife will have her car too, and there'll be one for the weekend. And if I'm not married, then I'll need a Porsche and a swanky pad in a city centre so I at least have the tools to find a wife. And if not I'll at least have a good time." Apparently teaching was no good either. And here ended my short career(s) advice session.

But things change so much. My kids know what they want to do, they've got it all worked out. So in the making we have a sports professional. And that's all sorted, qualifications needed, courses to go on. Earn 6 figures as a ref, for two days a week mate, apparently. God forbid I'd ever mentioned that as an option at the Grammar School. I'd have been ushered out of the gates, onto the bus and off to the local comprehensive before you could say David Beckham.
Next up is the architect - at 11 years of age he watches repeat after repeat of Grand Designs. Sod Beckham, Kevin McCloud is where it's at. You may have seen some of the wonderful creations on Facebook? We've had the Lego Playboy Mansion, resplendent in glass, with indoor and outdoor pools. The Lego strip club with the cubed pole...?
And finally, the salon.... I can rock up there at any time of the day, and my aches and pains are cured instantly whilst relaxing in a comfortable leather settee, sipping a cool beer, watching TV. Twenty minutes there and I'm a new man, albeit 50p lighter.

So there we have it; a sporting pro, a globally renowned architect, and a national chain of men's pamper rooms. This time in ten years Rodders............


No comments:

Post a Comment